10 Steps to Success
Is your club successful?
17 Jul 2017
All successful clubs regardless of the sport will share common characteristics. Some of these are:
1. Sound planning in the short, medium and long term
- Gives direction to a successful clubs operation
2. Understand the clubs strengths and weaknesses
- Action plan is in place to improve strengths and eliminate weaknesses.
3. Designated marketing committee
- This committee will drive the promotional activities and membership recruitment / retention of your club
- Marketing plan in place
4. The club knows its local community
- Knows where and how to target members
- Has key contacts in council and funding agencies
- Understand the demographic make up of the surrounding area
5. Local community knows the club
- People know of and can locate your club
- Club news regularly appears in the local newspaper
- Club promotional material is available in the community at shops, libraries etc
- Local council is supportive of the club
6. Effective communication with club members
- Club members know what is going on at the club at all times and they feel like a major contributor to the club
7. Club members recruit by word of mouth
- Word of mouth is the best promotional tool but this only works if the members are happy!
- Club runs incentive schemes for members who recruit new members or invite a friend evenings etc.
8. Team of active volunteers
- A successful club has a large number of volunteers who are happy in their role spreading the volunteer load.
9. Something for everyone
- Bowls and social calendars meet the needs of almost anyone. Something different for collegiate, juniors, mature age, families, businesses, people with a disability, weekday bowlers, weekend bowlers, social members etc
10. Welcoming attitude
- Club members are positive and welcoming to new members
- Buddy system / welcoming committee (mentor system)